As drivers, we have become accustomed to the fast-moving highways of Texas. These interstates and state highways help us get from place to place quickly, but they also pose serious, preventable dangers. Speed kills on Interstate 10 (I-10), Route 410, Highway 1604 and other routes in the area. Driver negligence can change your life in seconds.
Causes Of Highway Accidents
Many highway accidents involve vehicles operated by irresponsible drivers. Often, the problems are caused by:
- Drivers who are speeding and not paying proper attention to the road
- Distracted drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, accessing the internet, eating or multitasking behind the wheel
- Tailgating by drivers who fail to leave enough room to brake safely in stop-and-go traffic
- Drivers who are drunk or under the influence of illegal substances or prescription drugs
- Motorists who pass other vehicles or change lanes recklessly
- Truck drivers who are tired and inattentive
- Drivers who fail to see motorcyclists on the road
The Four-Second Rule
Failure to adhere to the "four-second rule" leads to multiple-car pileups. Safety authorities recommend allowing yourself four seconds to be able to stop behind the vehicle in front of you. Experts say that it takes approximately 127 feet to come to a stop when traveling at 50 mph. Many drivers tailgate other vehicles at higher speeds; this problem can have fatal consequences.
Get The Advice And Representation You Need | Free Consultation
At The Begum Law Group, based in Brownsville and San Antonio, Texas, our attorneys understand serious highway accidents. We can help you understand and protect your legal rights if you or one of your family members was hurt by a negligent driver.
Contact us if you are looking for an experienced personal injury lawyer who can assist you. We offer a free consultation.