Call Now 866.523.4167

What To Do If Person Flees Car Accident

As reported by New 4 San Antonio, a driver who tried to flee the scene of a car accident was nabbed by a police officer. This is not always a common occurrence, but it begs the question, how do you respond if the other person in your car accident tries to run away? There is no quick solution to this, since the other person is probably someone who you don’t want to physically approach, but there are a few tips that you can use in order to gain the compensation you deserve for the car accident and bring the other person to justice. This obviously doesn’t just happen to San Antonio drivers, and it doesn’t matter what state or city you’re in, you cannot simply run away from a car accident and expect to get off free.

Let’s take a look at how you should respond if the other person in your car accident tries to get away.

Refrain from Chasing the Person or Approaching Them

Although you might find yourself a little angered by the situation, it’s important to remember to not approach the other person who is running away from the car accident. This person might have a warrant out for their arrest or they might be carrying a weapon. There are a variety of reasons why a person might flee from the scene of an accident, and all of them are quite dangerous. It might be a drunk person who would use force to get away from you. Remain in your car and only get out once the person has gotten completely away.

Take as Many Pictures as You Can

If the person is fleeing in their car, try to snap as many photos of the car as you can, from the safety of your own car. If they are silly enough to leave their car behind, take pictures of the car left behind and try to take photos of the person fleeing on foot. If they leave the car, it might be that the person actually stole the car and it won’t do any goodd taking photos of it. In this case, pictures of the person are key.

Make Two Phone Calls in the Process

After your snap some photos, call the police immediately. Your best bet of getting the compensation you deserve is to let the police do their work and potentially catch the person in question. After that, call a personal injury lawyer to help you piece together the evidence after the crash. If the police do catch the person who fled the scene, you have a much better chance of receiving compensation quickly if you already have a personal injury lawyer.

Let us know in the comments section if you have any questions about how to respond if a person flees from a car accident. Share your thoughts if you have ever been in a hit and run accident. How did you respond, and did the other person eventually pay for the accident?

Alex Begum - Super Lawyers badge Lead Counsel logo American Association for Justice logo National Trial Lawyers Award Trial Lawyers Association logo San Antonio Trial Lawyers Association logo ABA logo Attorney and Practice Magazine top 10 logo Cameron County Bar logo Best Attorneys of America logo