An Overview on Car Accident Injuries and Compensation
Car accidents have been constantly on the rise and each accident is different. However, there is a difference between cases since they are all based on the amount of injuries sustained. Likewise, the treatment costs for the injuries sustained are not always covered and require a lot of negotiations and litigation.
Injuries for compensation
Some injuries that get compensation are quite clear, such as:
- Loss of limbs
- Wrongful death
- Knee damage
- Burns and scarring
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Permanent disability
- Bone, back, muscle, neck and joint injuries
Common Economic Damages
The common economic damages are referred to as compensatory damages. These are in the lawsuits for car accidents, and the injury attorneys attempt compensation for you, if you are a victim.
- Medical Expenses:This includes charges for the emergency room, surgery, hospital care and approved medical professional’s appointments.
- Future Medical Expenses:In case the victim of the car accident proves a need for continued medical assistance due to the crash, recovering the cost may be expected as claims for the future medical expenses.
- Lost Wages:The victims of car accidents in San Antonio may claim compensation for the time of injury and the lawsuit conclusion. If the victim was unemployed during the accident time, he may be given lost wages, if they demonstrate earning potential at that period. However, to claim these, you need experienced San Antonio car accident lawyers.
- Loss of earning ability:If the plaintiff demonstrates the power of earning a living has been hindered, compensation may be available. The past wages may be considered to determine the amount.
This deals with awarding for non-financial losses. The non-monetary losses are tough to quantify and include compensation for:
- Pain and Suffering:The physical pain suffering is due to injuries sustained in the car crash. The jury examines the injury nature, the pain and the time to be taken to suffer, before awarding damages.
- Mental Suffering:Victims suffering emotional pain or distress due to the accident are also awarded.
- Loss of Consortium:In a car accident lawsuit, the uninjured spouse may recover for loss of marital benefits and this includes sexual relations, companionship, comfort and affection. A jury examines the marriage stability, both partner’s life expectancy, the degree to which the relation was affected or lost and then the required amount will be issued to the uninjured spouse.
- Corrective Damages: The jury may enforce corrective damages, intending to punish the defendant and discourage such behavior in the future.
You must hire a knowledgeable injury attorney in San Antonio so that you get justice for the damages caused. Your car accident lawyers can give you a clear insight on the compensation deserved.