As a driver, you understand that you could be involved in an accident at some point. This is why you take extreme caution at all times.
What you may not understand is that there are many common causes of accidents. With knowledge of each one, you’re in better position to avoid trouble on the road.
Here are five of the most common causes:
- Distracted driving. Despite laws against it, distracted driving, e.g., texting and talking on a cellphone, remains a serious problem in all parts of the country.
- Drunk driving. It only takes one drink to impair a person’s ability to operate a motor vehicle safely.
- Reckless driving. This can take many forms, including excessive speeding and illegal passing.
- Speeding. Many motorists seem unable to refrain from driving faster than the speed limit. But doing so increases the likelihood of an accident.
- Weather conditions. Heavy rain and strong wind can make it difficult to control your vehicle. Motorists must alter their driving patterns when inclement weather moves into the area.
It’s important to do whatever you can to avoid causing a car accident. For example, if you tend to take your eyes off the road when driving, immediately cease this dangerous practice.
The one thing you can’t do is control other drivers. The best you can hope for to be alert for trouble and avoid it at all costs.
If another driver causes an accident, move your vehicle out of traffic and call for help. You can then receive medical treatment, contact your insurance company and take steps to hold this person responsible for causing the crash.