What You Need to Know About Motorcycle Safety on Texas Roads
Motorcyclists are widely seen on Texas roads. Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for them to become involved in accidents. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 501 individuals lost their lives as a result of motorcycle accidents in the state. By taking the time to understand the most common causes of motorcycle accidents and what can be done to prevent them, you can keep yourself and other motorists safe.
If you or someone you love has been hurt in a motorcycle accident, consult an experienced Texas motorcycle accident lawyer at Begum Law Group Injury Lawyers. We can help you determine who is at fault, and may be able to recover compensation for your damages. Call us at (866) 523-4167 today, or reach out through the online form to schedule a free consultation with The Law Giant.
How to Avoid Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
Motorcyclists and drivers can take certain steps to reduce their risk of becoming involved in a motorcycle accident, which may lead to life-threatening injuries and even death. Our Texas motorcycle accident lawyers recommend the following tips:
- Take a training course. The Texas Department of Safety offers several types of training courses for motorcycle riders at multiple locations in the state. A training course is a good option for new motorcyclists as well as those who have been riding for years.
- Wear a helmet. Helmets can prevent brain-related injuries and save lives. While Texas does not require all motorcyclists to wear helmets, it’s in their best interest to do so.
- Refrain from drinking or drug use. Both motorcyclists and drivers should never operate their vehicles when they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. They should opt for ridesharing services or rides from sober friends instead.
- Exercise caution while turning left and anticipate left turns. Drivers must be aware of the dangers of turning left when there is a motorcyclist their view and proceed with extra caution. On the other hand, motorcyclists need to always be on the lookout for signs that a driver may try and turn in front of them.
- Keep out of drivers’ blind spots. If a motorcyclist cannot see a driver’s eyes in their car mirrors, they are likely in their blind spot. They should make an effort to stay out of blind spots as much as possible.
Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
There are a variety of reasons motorcycle accidents occur in the Lone Star state. However, the most common ones include:
- Distractions – Texting, eating, and simply not paying attention may lead to motorcycle crashes caused by motorcyclists or drivers.
- Speeding – While it’s tempting for many motorcyclists and drivers to speed on their bikes or in their cars, doing so is dangerous and can make it difficult for them to slow down or stop in time to avoid a crash.
- Lane splitting – Lane splitting is when a motorcycle drives between two lanes of slowly moving or stopped cars. Although lane splitting isn’t illegal in Texas, it puts motorcyclists and cars in very close proximity, posing serious danger.
- Cars making left turns – When a car turns left, it may strike a motorcycle at the same time the rider is going through an intersection, passing cars, or attempting to overtake the car.
- Alcohol – Drinking and riding is just as dangerous as drinking and driving. In 2017, impaired drivers contributed to 28% of all motor vehicle fatalities in Texas.
Injured in a Texas Motorcycle Accident? Contact The Law Giant for Help
While motorcycles are thrilling, they can also be very dangerous. If you sustain an injury or lose someone you love in a motorcycle crash, reach out to Begum Law Group Injury Lawyers as soon as possible. We are well-versed in Texas motorcycle accidents and can inform you of your legal options. Contact us at (866) 523-4167 today to schedule a free, initial evaluation of your case.