What Should I Do If My Uber or Lyft Is in an Accident?
Ridesharing companies such as Uber and Lyft are more popular today than ever before. Whether your car is in the shop, you need a ride to the airport, or you’d like to get home safely after a night out, Uber or Lyft can help you out.
While these ridesharing companies are known to provide dependable transportation, there is a chance you may get into a crash if you’re a passenger in an Uber of Lyft vehicle. If you’ve incurred injuries in a rideshare accident, reach out to a skilled Texas Uber and Lyft accident attorney from Begum Law Group Injury Lawyers.
Steps to Take After an Uber or Lyft Accident
Although it’s easier said than done, it’s important to remain calm if your Uber or Lyft gets into an accident. By taking the following steps, you’ll be better prepared to protect your health and your rights.
- Call the police. Just like you would with a regular car accident, call the police and let them know of the crash. They can file a report, which you can later use as evidence if you decide to pursue a lawsuit.
- Document the accident. Use your phone to take photos of the accident scene. Be sure to snap pictures of the Uber or Lyft vehicle and any other cars involved in the crash.
- Visit the doctor. Even if you think you’re okay, go to the hospital and get checked out by a physician. You may find out that you have an injury that wasn’t immediately apparent.
- Report the crash to Uber or Lyft. Call Uber or Lyft and make them aware of the accident as soon as possible.
- Avoid speaking to insurance companies. After the accident, you may receive calls from insurance companies asking you about the crash and whether you’re okay. If possible, refrain from sharing any information, as anything you say may be used against you.
- Contact an Uber and Lyft accident lawyer. Uber and Lyft crashes are more complex than regular car accidents, making it important to seek legal representation. An attorney can determine liability and may be able to help you recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
How Do Uber and Lyft Insurance Policies Work?
Uber and Lyft drivers are required to be covered under a $1 million insurance policy. It’s essential to understand that the $1 million insurance policy does not protect against every accident. In some cases, the personal insurance policy of an Uber or Lyft driver may go into effect. Here are some key points that Uber and Lyft both reinforce regarding accidents and insurance coverage:
- When Uber or Lyft drivers are not on the job, these rideshare companies are not responsible for crashes.
- In the event an Uber or Lyft driver has their app on, and they are working at the time of the accident, both the rideshare company’s insurance and the driver’s personal insurance policy will go into effect.
- The coverage for these insurance policies is $25,000 for property damage and between $50,000 and $100,000 for injuries.
- When a passenger is in an Uber or Lyft at the time of an accident, they are covered by Uber or Lyft’s insurer.
Injured in an Uber or Lyft Accident? Contact The Law Giant for Help
Getting into a car accident can be stressful. However, a crash that involves an Uber or Lyft can be particularly overwhelming. If you’ve been hurt in such an accident, call the Uber and Lyft accident attorneys at Begum Law Group Injury Lawyers right away. To schedule a free, initial evaluation of your case, contact us today at (866) 523-4167.