Halloween is a magical time where children and adults have a night to be whoever they want to be. From the scariest witches to the bravest superheroes, characters from all movies and books go around home to home asking for delicious treats. It is a time for family fun, however it is also a time to be safe. As Alex Begum points out in our latest video, there are a lot of drunk drivers in the streets during this night, and children in dark clothes can be hard to spot.
According to the National Safety Council, NSC, 7,330 pedestrians died in both traffic and non-traffic incidents in 2016. Non-traffic incidents are described as those occurring in driveways, parking lots and private property. Terrifyingly so, it is estimated that children are twice as likely to be injured or killed in an accident involving being hit by a car during Halloween night.
It is important that we as parents take the time to review the routes for trick or treating, accompany our children as they go have fun, and make sure they have costumes easy to spot.
Here are some tips to ensure a fun time free of accidents:
- Use face paint instead of masks to ensure nothing impairs the children’s vision.
- Make sure the materials of the costume are fire safe.
- Use bright colors and reflective tape to ensure they can be easily spotted.
- Stay in the well-lit areas
- Go out earlier to have more daylight
- Always cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Bring flashlights
- Make costumes close-fitting to prevent trip and fall accidents.
- Check the candy for allergens and other potential hazards
Avoid pedestrian accidents by following these tips. Additionally, if you plan on going out and having alcoholic drinks, make sure you have a designated driver or use a ride share service. Drunk driving accidents are very common during Halloween night.
If you or someone you love happens to be the victim of someone’s recklessness and is injured, make sure you contact a Texas personal injury lawyer who will fight for your rights. The offices of the Begum Law Group Injury Lawyers will work with you to ensure you are compensated for your injuries. Remember our consultation is always free and if we don’t win you will not be charged.