When you’re in an accident, it’s hard to know what to do next. You might be seriously injured and need ongoing medical treatment. You may be unable to work and wonder how you’re going to cover your bills. Begum Law Group Injury Lawyers Injury Lawyers is here to help. We are more than personal injury lawyers. We are a partner in your success to return to life.
Read below to learn about some resources in Brownsville that might be useful after an accident. Then, call The Law Giant at (956) 982-1800 or use our online contact form to reach out to our Brownsville personal injury lawyers.
Visit an Emergency Room or Trauma Center
If you are injured in a car crash or another type of accident, you should immediately get medical attention. An emergency room or trauma center is the best option.
Valley Regional Medical Center is a Level III Trauma Center. They offer prompt assessment and rapid response in traumatic situations like truck or motorcycle accidents. The trauma center has expert doctors, nurses, and specialists to treat your broken bones, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), acute whiplash, and other injuries.
Find a Doctor for Ongoing Medical Care
In addition to the initial emergency medical treatment you receive, you will need a primary care physician to provide ongoing care. If you don’t already have a PCP or general doctor, you can search for one on the Valley Regional Medical Center Find a Doctor website.
The Find a Doctor website allows you to search by specialty, zip code, and keyword search. If you are more comfortable with a male or female doctor, you can also indicate that preference. If you already have a doctor in mind, you can search by the last name.
Ongoing medical care is vital to your insurance claim because it proves that you have serious injuries that impact your life significantly. Without a record of regular medical care, the insurance company may make you an offer that does not entirely cover all of your future medical needs. They may also discount your pain and suffering and challenge whether you could not work due to the accident.
Help With Bills While You Wait for a Settlement
It can take months or longer to get a settlement from an insurance company. However, you may need help paying bills a lot sooner. Here are some resources in Brownsville that can help you with rent, mortgage payments, and utilities in the meantime:
- The Ozanam Center offers assistance with rent, food, shelter, utilities, and access to federal and state programs for funding. Their phone number is 956-831-6331 or 956-589-8084 for after-hours access.
- The Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program helps with utility bill assistance and is funded by many non-profit organizations. To speak with a representative about the program, contact the Community Affairs Division of the Texas Department of Housing at 512-475-3800.
- The Cameron County Salvation Army offers emergency assistance with utilities, groceries, rent, food, clothing, and other expenses. They can be reached at 956-423-2454.
- Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley offers grants and emergency financial assistance for rent, mortgage, utilities, food, clothing, and counseling. You can call them at 956-541-0220.
- Loaves and Fishes Of The Rio Grande Valley, Inc. is a non-profit organization that helps with rent, metered utilities, and prescription medications. Their phone number is 956-423-1014.
For additional programs that help with needs after accidents or emergencies, read more by going to Cameron County, Texas Assistance Programs.
Getting Your Car Fixed After an Auto Accident
One of your primary concerns after a crash will likely be how to get back on the road. You will need to drive to doctor’s appointments, transport your children to school, and go to work once you can. There are many mechanic shops in Brownsville, so it can be hard to choose one.
The best way to choose an auto repair shop if you’re not familiar with any is to ask friends and family for a referral. If anyone has a suggestion of a reputable, honest shop that does good work, you should call to get an appointment for an estimate as soon as possible.
If no one has any referrals, you can use Google to find a shop that has a high star rating and multiple reviews. Look at the good and bad reviews to see what others have said about the shop. You will want to find one that offers good service as well as quality work.
Call a Brownsville Personal Injury Attorney as Soon as Possible
It would help if you didn’t have to deal with the aftermath of your accident alone. The Law Giant has many resources to offer.