When a dog bites, it should not be taken lightly. Dog bites are serious accidents that are not only physically damaging, but also emotionally damaging. Victims of dog bites are often traumatized by any future interactions with dogs. In some cases, a dog bite can also be fatal.
Many people have suffered from canine attacks. In fact, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has released statistics showing that 2 percent of Americans have been involved in a dog bite. The scary part is that children are frequently the victims — dog bite accidents are the second most common reason for injury to children.
Dog bites can be traumatic, but they don't just cause emotional damage. They also can cause the following physical damages:
- Cuts and lacerations that require stitches
- Infection from improperly treated injuries
- Permanent scarring
Dogs have been known to attack any part of the body, but they frequently attack the face. Some dogs are even capable of biting off large portions of the face.
You can protect yourself from animal attacks, by keeping the following facts in mind:
- Younger dogs (under 6 years old) are more likely to attack.
- Unneutered male dogs attack more than females or neutered males
- Dogs that are chained attack more frequently than unchained dogs
- Children are more likely to be bitten by a dog they already know
- Dogs tend to bite when touched on the face
- Be especially weary of pit bulls, Rottweilers and Chow Chows.
Get the Help You Need
If you have been attacked by a dog in the San Antonio or Brownsville area, immediately contact animal control and seek medical attention. Animal control will determine if the animal has become aggressive and should be euthanized. After you have received medical care, contact The Begum Law Group for a free consultation about your rights.
Texas law sometimes requires that dog owners be held accountable for the action of their animals. At The Begum Law Group, our accident attorneys are experienced in animal attack injuries and can offer you the legal assistance you need to financially recover from the incident.
For a free review of your potential case, give us a call at 956-267-5580. We will explain your rights, and help you win the compensation you deserve.