Free Consultation 866.523.4167

What Is Property Damage and Who Pays for It?

September 30, 2020
What is property damage and who pays for it

There are many types of damages you may experience in a car accident, including property damage. You may sustain significant losses that impact you financially for months or years in the future. That’s why it’s important to find out who is responsible for paying for the damages.

The Texas Law Giant has extensive experience holding negligent parties responsible for their actions. If you were hurt or suffered property damage in a car or truck accident, we can help. Call Begum Law Group at (866) 523-4167 or use our online contact form today.

What Is Property Damage?

Property damage includes the loss of any physical items in an accident. That may include damage to your vehicle, phone, laptops, glasses, child car seats and booster seats, and more. In fact, you can also get compensation for the following things under property damage:

  • Towing expenses
  • Rental car costs
  • Damage to any items inside your car
  • Damage to property outside of the car

After an accident, you should make a list of all of the item that were damaged in your accident. If you have purchase receipts for those items, include those as evidence in your claim. Even without receipts, your items can be valued by insurance companies, your attorney, and experts so that you get proper compensation to replace or repair your belongings.

Who Pays for Property Damage After a Car Accident?

Texas requires that every driver be covered by a minimum amount of liability insurance to pay for medical expenses and property damage when they are at fault for the crash. You must have at least $25,000 worth of property damage coverage per accident. However, this minimum amount is often not enough to cover all damages and it is a good practice to purchase an insurance policy with a higher limit.

You should first file a property damage claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company. They should pay for any losses you incur. However, if their policy limit is not high enough to cover all of your losses or if the at-fault driver is uninsured, you may have to file a claim with your own insurance company.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays your bills if you’re hit by someone who didn’t have insurance or didn’t have enough to cover your medical costs and property damage. Insurance companies are required to offer you this coverage, and if you don’t want it, you have to tell the company in writing that you decline coverage. It’s always best to opt in for UM/UIM coverage.

If policy limits for both insurance companies are exhausted, the at-fault driver may be on the hook for expenses personally. This can be difficult because few people have enough money to pay for extensive losses in a motor vehicle accident. However, your attorney can dig into the financial situation of the at-fault driver and find out if they have reserves that you can pull from.

Contact The Texas Law Giant for More Information About Property Damage Claims

Most people have extensive property damage after a motor vehicle accident. You will need to fix your car or get a new one ASAP. We will review your situation and help you file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company so you can get back to your normal life.

Call Begum Law Group today at (866) 523-4167 or use our online contact form.

Contact us for a real conversation with a Texas Injury Lawyer

Compensation without the frustration.

“Great group of people to work with—very efficient and professional. Alex has put together a great Team!”